Herbert: Um, excuse me, miss. Are you waiting for someone? May I sit with you for a second?
赫伯特: 嗯,小姐,對不起。你在等人嗎?我可以跟你坐一會兒嗎?
Rose: Yes, I guess it's OK.
柔絲: 好吧,我想無妨。
Herbert: Thanks. So, um, do you go to bars often?
赫伯特: 謝謝。所以,嗯,你常上酒吧嗎?
Rose: Of course not!
柔絲: 當然沒有。
Herbert: Sorry, I didn't mean anything bad. Would you like another drink?
赫伯特: 對不起,我沒有惡意。你想再來一杯嗎?
Rose: No. This one is 2) half full. Any way, it's very 3) strong.
柔絲: 不了。這杯還剩一半。況且,這杯酒非常烈。
Herbert: I guess the 4) bartender thought you liked strong drinks.
赫伯特: 我猜那個酒保大概以為你喜歡烈一點的酒。
Rose: 5) Excuse me?!
柔絲: 什么?!
語言詳解
A: I'm putting it all on the line with Debbie tonight.
今晚我要不計任何代價跟黛比說清楚。
B: What? You're gonna tell her the truth? That takes courage, man.
什么?你要跟她說說實話?那需要很大的勇氣,老兄。
【I didn't mean anything bad. 我沒有惡意】
“言者無心,聽者有意”的情況,就是這句話的使用時機。
A: You look very mature in that dress.
你穿那件衣服看起來很成熟。
B: Are you saying I'm old?
你在說我老嗎?
A: I didn't mean anything bad. It looks very nice.
我沒有任何惡意。那看起來很好。
1) half full 半滿的
2) strong (a.) 濃烈的,強烈的
3) bartender (n.) 酒保
4) Excuse me? 你說什么?Excuse me.一般表示“抱歉”的意思,但在這里,是表示不敢相信對方竟然跟自己說這種話。但要表達這種意思,必須配合正確的語調(diào),才能傳神。