I said, "Dad, you might leave now."
我說道,“爸爸,你走吧?!?/p>
But he looked out of window and said, "I'm going to buy you some tangerines. You just stay here. Don't move around."
他望車外看了看,說,“我買幾個橘子去。你就在此地,不要走動?!?/p>
I caught sight of several vendors waiting for customers outside the railings beyond a platform.
我看那邊月臺的柵欄外有幾個賣東西的的等著顧客。
But to reach that platform would require crossing the railway track and doing some climbing up and down.
走到那邊月臺,須穿過鐵道,須跳下去又爬上去。
That would be a strenuous job for father, who was fat.
父親是一個胖子,走過去自然要費些事。
I wanted to do all that myself, but he stopped me, so I could do nothing but let him go.
我本來要去的,他不肯,只好讓他去。
I watched him hobble towards the railway track in his black skullcap, black cloth mandarin jacket and dark blue cotton-padded cloth long gown.
我看見他戴著黑布小帽,穿著黑布大馬褂,深青布棉袍,蹣跚在走到鐵道邊。
He had little trouble climbing down the railway track,
他慢慢探身下去,尚不大難。
but it was a lot more difficult for him to climb up that platform after crossing the railway track.
可是他穿過鐵道,要爬上那邊月臺,就不容易了。
His hands held onto the upper part of the platform,
他用兩手攀著上面,
his legs huddled up and his corpulent body tipped slightly towards the left, obviously making an enormous exertion.
兩腳再向上縮;他肥胖的身子向左微傾,顯出努力的樣子。
While I was watching him from behind, tears gushed from my eyes.
這時我看見他的的背影,我眼淚很快地流下來了。
I quickly wiped them away lest he or others should catch me crying.
我趕緊拭干了淚,怕他看見,也怕別人看見。
The next moment when I looked out of the window again,
我再向外看時,
father was already on the way back, holding bright red tangerines in both hands.
他已抱了朱紅的橘子往回走了。
In crossing the railway track, he first put the tangerines on the ground,
過鐵道時,他先將橘子散放在地上,
climbed down slowly and then picked them up again.
自己慢慢爬下,再抱起橘子走。
When he came near the train, I hurried out to help him by the hand.
到這邊時,我趕緊去攙他。
After boarding the train with me, he laid all the tangerines on my overcoat,
他和我走到車上,將橘子一股腦兒放在我的皮大衣上,
and patting the dirt off his clothes, he looked somewhat relieved and said after a while,
于是撲撲衣上泥土,心里很輕松似的,過了一會說,
"I must be going now. Don't forget to write me from Beijing!"
“我走了,到那邊來信!”
I gazed after his back retreating out of the carriage.
我望著他走出去。
After a few steps, he looked back at me and said, "Go back to your seat. Don't leave your things alone."
他走了幾步,回過頭看見我,說:“進去吧,里邊沒人。”
I, however, did not go back to my seat until his figure was lost among crowds of people hurrying to and fro and no longer visible.
等他的背影混入來來往往的人里,再找不著了,我便進來坐下。
My eyes were again wet with tears.
我的眼淚又來了。