Backward, turn backward, O Time, in your flight,
時光穿梭,飛快地回到從前,
Make me a child again, just for to-night!
今晚星光,我變成可愛孩子,
Mother, come back from the echoless shore,
媽媽,從無法應答的彼岸歸來,
Take me again to your heart as of yore;
一如往昔,將我摟抱入懷。
Kiss from my forehead the furrows of care,
輕輕地, 她吻著我的前額皺紋,
Smooth the few silver threads out of my hair;
隨后撫平,我鬢角上初現白發(fā),
Over my slumbers your loving watch keep;—
滿心憐愛,默默地看我安睡——
Rock me to sleep, mother,—rock me to sleep!
媽媽呵,慢慢蕩起搖籃,讓我入眠!
Backward, flow backward, O tide of the years!
時光穿梭,追溯往昔歲月,
I am so weary of toil and of tears;
難以應對, 生活困厄操勞,
Toil without recompense, tears all in vain;
嘔心瀝血,汗水無法兌現,
Take them, and give me my childhood again!
不再憂傷,今晚我又回到童年!
I have grown weary of dust and decay,—
滾滾紅塵,行尸走肉的皮囊,
Weary of flinging my soul wealth away;
迷惘不安,如何失去信念?
Weary of sowing for others to reap;—
世事喧囂,充滿爾虞我詐,
Rock me to sleep, mother,—rock me to sleep!
媽媽呵,慢慢蕩起搖籃,讓我入眠!
Tired of the hollow, the base, the untrue,
我早已,厭倦世俗的虛偽卑鄙,
Mother, O mother, my heart calls for you!
哦,媽媽,我從心底呼喚你!
Many a summer the grass has grown green,
夏夜星落,那片滴翠的草地,
Blossomed and faded, our faces between:
母女笑容,跌落在花開花落之間,
Yet with strong yearning and passionate pain,
難以抑制,我多年的思念苦楚,
Long I to-night for your presence again.
哦,媽媽,渴望你今晚出現。
Come from the silence so long and so deep;—
回來吧,你在寂寞黑暗消失很久,
Rock me to sleep, mother,—rock me to sleep!
媽媽呵,慢慢蕩起搖籃,讓我入眠!