Turning round we saw a little ratfaced fellow standing in the centre of the circle of yellow light which was thrown by the swinging lamp,
我們回頭一看,只見一個獐頭鼠目、身材矮小的人正站在門口吊燈的黃色光暈下,
while Breckinridge, the salesman, framed in the door of his stall,
那個店主人布萊肯里奇堵在他那貨攤的門口,
was shaking his fists fiercely at the cringing figure.
向這個畏畏縮縮的人惡狠狠地揮舞著拳頭。
"I've had enough of you and your geese," he shouted.
"你和你的鵝真叫我煩透了!"他喊著,
"I wish you were all at the devil together.
"我希望你們都一起見鬼去吧!
If you come pestering me any more with your silly talk I'll set the dog at you.
如果你再跑來用那些蠢話糾纏我,我就放狗咬你。
You bring Mrs. Oakshott here and I'll answer her, but what have you to do with it? Did I buy the geese off you?"
你把奧克肖特太太帶來,我會答復她的,但是這和你有什么相干?我的鵝是從你那里買來的嗎?"
"No; but one of them was mine all the same," whined the little man.
"不是,不過話雖如此,那里面有一只鵝是我的呀!"那個矮個子唉聲嘆氣地說。
"Well, then, ask Mrs. Oakshott for it."
"好吧,那你就去找奧克肖特太太要去吧。"
"She told me to ask you."
"她讓我來問你要。"
"Well, you can ask the King of Proosia, for all I care. I've had enough of it. Get out of this!"
"噢,那你可以去向普魯士國王要吧,這我管不著。我已經聽夠了,你給我滾開吧!"
He rushed fiercely forward, and the inquirer flitted away into the darkness.
他惡狠狠地沖上前去,那個問話的人很快地就在黑暗里消失了。