LESSON 53 The burial of sir John moore
第五十三課 約翰·摩爾爵士的葬禮
Not a drum was heard, not a funeral note,
沒有聽到任何鼓聲,不是葬禮的調子,
As his corse to the rampart we hurried;
當他的尸體被包裹起來時,我們加快了速度;
Not a soldier discharged his farewell shot
沒有一個士兵發(fā)出告別的鳴槍
O'er the grave where our hero we buried.
在這個我們埋葬英雄的地方。
We buried him darkly at dead of night,
我們在夜深人靜時將他埋葬,
The sods with our bayonets turning,
草地上放著我們的刺刀把桿,
By the struggling moonbeams' misty light,
在朦朧的月光中掙扎,
And the lantern dimly burning.
燈在昏暗中燃燒,
No useless coffin enclosed his breast,
棺材在他胸前合上,
Nor in sheet nor in shroud we wound him;
或是用裹尸布、壽衣將他纏繞;
But he lay like a warrior taking his rest,
但是他躺著像一個在休息的武士,
With his martial cloak around him.
他的軍斗篷還圍繞著他。
Few and short were the prayers we said,
我們說著簡短的祈禱,
And we spoke not a word of sorrow;
只字不提悲傷之詞;
But we steadfastly gazed on the face of the dead,
但我們堅決地凝視著死者的面孔,
And we bitterly thought of the morrow.
痛苦地想著明天。