If you can't be a pine on the top of the hill,
如果你當不成山巔的一棵勁松,
Be a scrub in the valley---but be
就做山谷里的小樹吧---但務必
The best little scrub by the side of the rill;
做溪流邊最棒的一棵小樹;
Be a bush if you can't be a tree.
當不了樹就做一叢灌木,
If you can't be a bush be a bit of grass--
當不成灌木還可以做小草--但務必
And some highway happier make.
做路邊最快樂的一株小草。
If you can't be a muskie then just be a bass--
如果你不是大梭魚就做一尾鱸魚吧,
But the liveliest bass in the lake!
但要做湖里最活潑的小鱸魚!
We can't all be captains, we've got to be crew,
我們不能都做船長,必須有人當船員,
There's something for all of us here,
可每個人都有自己的事兒,
There's big work to do, and there's lesser to do,
有的事情大,有的事情小,
And the task you must do is the near.
而你要完成的任務就近在咫尺。
If you can't be a highway then just be a trail,
如果你不能做大道就做一條小徑,
If you can't be the sun be a star;
若是不能做太陽就做星星;
It isn't by size that you win or you fail--
決定成敗的不是你的大小--
Be the best of whatever you are!
只要你做最好的自己!