Michael和李華在復習功課,做完功課后他們準備去看電影。在今天的對話中,李華會學到兩個常用語:no way和to bet。
L: Michael,準備好了嗎?我們要去看電影了。Anna正開車來接我們呢。
M: Yeah I'm ready...let me get this call though. Hello? Sorry, I can't come to work right now. I have to pick up a friend from the airport. Yep. Sorry I can't help out. OK.
L: 哎呀,Michael,你怎么能騙你同事說你要去機場接人呢?我覺 得他們可能真的很需要幫手,你就去吧。我們可以下次再看電影 嘛。
M: What? No way! I'm not going to help him!
L: 你說什么?no way 是什么意思啊?
M: No way means that there is no way I will do that. It means that I refuse completely.
L: 噢,我知道了, No, N-O, way, 是W-A-Y, 就是絕對不行的意思, 好象中文里的門兒都沒有。 你真的不能幫幫他嗎?
M: No way! That guy is just lazy. He is always trying to escape from work and find other people to do his job for him. Nobody trusts him.
L: 可是不管怎么說,我還是覺得同事之間還是應該互相幫忙啊。
M: Really? Well what if Professor Wang called right now and said he needs you to help him grade Chinese test papers all afternoon?
L: No way! 我才不干呢,我以前幫過他好幾次忙,可他從來都不付 給我工資,更氣人的是他連聲謝謝都不肯說。
M: Well anyway, Anna and I have been waiting for a long time to see this movie. There is no way I'm changing my plans.
L: 我明白了,我看你是喜歡Anna,不想錯過和她一起看電影的機會吧。
M: What? No way!
L: 哎,你怎么又說 no way, 這回我又沒要求你做任何事情啊。
M: Oh, well sometimes no way also means that's not true or absolutely not. It shows that you disagree with something that somebody said.
L: 得了,我就是覺得你喜歡Anna。
M: No way!
M: Hmm, Anna still isn't here. I bet the traffic is bad.
L: 啊?你說什么?
M: I said "I bet the traffic is bad". That means I think, or I'm pretty sure that the traffic is bad. Bet, B-E-T, as in to bet money.
L: 噢,bet 本來的意思是下賭注,例如賭錢,不過在這里是認為或相信的意思。
M: That's right. When you bet money, you can't always be 100% sure about your bet.
L: 對啊,賭錢的人不可能100% 地預料到下賭注的結(jié)果,所以說, 如果你說“I bet”,表示你是在推測。
M: That's right. Anyway, I'm not worried about Anna, I bet she 'll arrive any minute now.
L: I bet you are right. Anna從來不遲到。哎,你覺得這部電影會好看嗎?
M: I don't know. It's an action movie, so I bet you won't like it very much.
L: 誰說的,其實我也很喜歡動作片啊,當然除了那些爛片子。
M: I bet you'll say it is stupid no matter how good it really is. You always say action movies are stupid.
L: Whatever. 我聽好多人說這部電影好看,我想今天電影院一定滿 座。
M: Hey, look, there's a red car down the street. I bet that's Anna.
L: No way. Anna 的車比這輛車小多了。
M: Looks like I was right. Let's hurry.
L: I bet Anna 她一定很高興見到你。
M: No way! Stop joking around like that, ok?
今天李華學到了兩個常用語,no way表示不可能;to bet是確信的意思。