https://online2.tingclass.net/lesson/shi0529/0008/8687/161.mp3
https://image.tingclass.net/statics/js/2012
迷你對話:
A:It is time to butter him up.
我該去奉承奉承他了。
B:What do you have to do togrease the palm ofhim?
你得做些什么才能賄賂他呢?
A:I don’t know. Let me see.
我不知道,讓我想想。
B:You can go and ask your father.
你可以去問問你的父親。
地道表達:
grease the palm of
解詞釋義:
grease作為動詞,本義是指“用油脂涂”或“油脂弄臟”,在俚語中比喻為“給......賄賂或小費”,行賄的思想是骯臟的,這比喻是非常貼切的,那么習語grease the palm of比喻為“向......行賄,買通”。
拓展講解:
grease the hand of意思是grease the palm of意思相同。
支持范例:
The offender attempted togrease the palm ofthe judge.
罪犯企圖賄賂法官。
We had togrease the palm ofthe waiter to get a table in the crowded restaurant.
我們得給招待員特別小費以便在客滿的餐廳得到座位。
The driver was trying togrease the hand ofthe cop, but he was refused.
那個司機企圖收買警察,卻被警察拒絕了。
詞海拾貝:
butter sb up:奉承某人,拍某人的馬屁
Eg. It's a good idea tobutter a person upbefore asking them to do you a favor.
在要求別人幫你忙之前,最好先對他們說些好聽的話。
Eg. He began tobutter upthe directorin hope of being given a better job.
他開始奉承主任,希望得到一份更好的工作。
Eg. If you canbutter upyour boss, he won't give you a hard time.
如果你能對老板說點好聽的話,他將不會為難你。
Eg. If webutter our mother upa bit, she may let us go to cinema this afternoon.
如果我們對媽媽說點好話,她也許會讓我們今天下午去看電影的。