“哦,他們早就都知道了。他們昨天還在打賭,你知道”——他微笑著,但他的聲音有些生澀——“打賭我會不會帶你回來。不過,我想不出有誰敢跟愛麗絲打賭。無論如何,我們家里是沒有什么秘密的。這確實不太可能,因為我能讀心,而愛麗絲能看見未來的所有事情。”
"And Jasper making you feel all warm and fuzzy about spilling your guts, don't forget that."
“而賈斯帕會讓你感受到溫暖,不知不覺地說出了心里話,別忘了這一點。”
"You paid attention," he smiled approvingly.
“你注意到了。”他贊許地笑了起來。
"I've been known to do that every now and then." I grimaced. "So did Alice see me coming?"
“我早就時不時地了解到了這一點。”我咧嘴一笑。“所以愛麗絲看到我來了?”
His reaction was strange. "Something like that," he said uncomfortably, turning away so Icouldn't see his eyes. I stared at him curiously.
他的反應很奇怪。“類似于這樣的事情。”他很不自在地說道,扭頭看向別處,這樣我就看不到他的眼睛了。我好奇地盯著他看。
"Is that any good?" he asked, turning back to me abruptly and eyeing my breakfast with ateasing look on his face. "Honestly, it doesn't look very appetizing."
“這是什么好東西嗎?”他問道,突然回過頭來看著我,臉上露出揶揄的神情看著我的食物。“老實說,這看上去讓人很不開胃。”
"Well, it's no irritable grizzly…" I murmured, ignoring him when he glowered. I was stillwondering why he responded that way when I mentioned Alice. I hurried through my cereal,speculating.
“好吧,這里可沒什么暴躁的灰熊……”我喃喃自語著,無視他的怒目而視。我還是想知道,為什么當我提到愛麗絲的時候,他會是那種反應。我扒拉著我的麥片,思索著。
He stood in the middle of the kitchen, the statue of Adonis again, staring abstractedly out theback windows.
他站在廚房的中間,又變成了一尊阿多尼斯的雕像,心不在焉地向后窗外看去。
Then his eyes were back on me, and he smiled his heartbreaking smile.
然后他回過頭來看著我,露出了一抹令人心碎的微笑。
"And you should introduce me to your father, too, I think."
“我想,你也應該向你父親正式介紹我。”
"He already knows you," I reminded him.
“他已經認識你了。”我提醒他。
"As your boyfriend, I mean."
“我是指,作為你的男朋友。”
I stared at him with suspicion. "Why?"
我懷疑地盯著他。“為什么?”
"Isn't that customary?" he asked innocently.
“這不是習俗嗎?”他一臉無辜地問道。