NIGHT FELL. I went to bed. I slept pretty poorly. Man-eaters played a major role in my dreams.
黑夜來臨,我睡了,睡得很不好。鮫魚在我夢中起了重大的作用,
And I found it more or less appropriate that the French word for shark, requin, has its linguistic roots in the word requiem.
我覺得把超度作為鯊魚一詞的語源,說它對也行,說它不對也行。
The next day at four o'clock in the morning, I was awakened by the steward whom Captain Nemo had placed expressly at my service.
第二天早晨四點,尼摩船長特別吩咐前來伺候我的管事人把我叫醒。
I got up quickly, dressed, and went into the lounge.
我立即起床,穿了衣服,到客廳去。
Captain Nemo was waiting for me.
尼摩船長在廳中等著我。
Professor Aronnax, he said to me, are you ready to start?
阿龍納斯先生,他說,您準備好了嗎?
I'm ready.
準備好了。
Kindly follow me.
請跟我來。
What about my companions, captain?
船長,我的同伴們呢?
They've been alerted and are waiting for us.
他們已經(jīng)得到通知,等著我們了。
Aren't we going to put on our ping suits? I asked.
我問:我們不穿潛水衣嗎?
Not yet. I haven't let the Nautilus pull too near the coast, and we're fairly well out from the Mannar oysterbank.
不用穿了。我不讓諾第留斯號很接近海岸,我們是在馬納爾礁石巖脈的遠處海上。
But I have the skiff ready, and it will take us to the exact spot where we'll disembark, which will save us a pretty long trek.
不過我準備好了那只小艇,它可以載我們到下水的地點,讓我們免走一段相當長的路程。
It's carrying our ping equipment, and we'll suit up just before we begin our underwater exploring.
艇中放了我們的潛水服裝,到我們要作水底探訪的時候,就穿戴起來。