There are two kinds of transmissions — two kinds of cars. 有兩種擋的汽車。
One is what we call an automatic transmission, where you put your car either into reverse or into drive, and that's it. 一種是自動擋,使用它你要么是倒車要么是讓車往前開,僅此而已。
You don't have to change anything. 你不必改變?nèi)魏螙|西。
Another kind of car is called a stick shift, or a manual transmission. 另一種是手動擋。
Manual, "manual," is the opposite of automatic; it means by hand. 手動的(manual)反義詞是“自動的”;它是“用手”的意思。
So, if you have a manual transmission, or a stick shift, 因此,如果你的車是手動擋的話,
you have to move the transmission each time you want to go faster or slower. 每次你要加速或減速,你都必須要掛擋。
The word stick, "stick," shift, "shift," (two words) is the same as a manual transmission. “Stick shift”(兩個字)這詞和“手動擋”的意思相同。
Some people say, "I drive a stick," they mean, "I drive a stick shift." 有些人會說,“I drive a stick”,他們的意思就是:“我開手動擋的車”
The word shift is also a verb, to shift, and that means to change. “Shift”這個詞也是動詞,它是“改變”的意思。
So, if you have a manual transmission — a stick shift — you shift from one gear to another. 因此,如果你的車是手動擋,你就要換擋。
If you want to go faster, you have to shift into a higher gear. 如果你想加速,就必須換到更高的擋位。