The spring that bubbled 'neath the hill,
山下有處泉水,汩汩冒泡,
Close by the spreading beech,
緊挨泉眼,有片山毛櫸林,
Is very low; 't was once so high that we could almost reach;
現(xiàn)在山很矮,過去高不可攀,爬到頂,總是很難很難。
And kneeling down to take a drink,
我趴在泉邊,啜飲山泉,
Dear Tom, I started so,
湯姆,我在琢磨思忖,
To think how very much I've changed Since forty years ago.
我的模樣,究竟改變多少?時光穿梭,一晃四十年了。
Near by that spring, upon an elm, you know, I cut your name,
泉眼旁邊,有棵棕櫚樹,你知道,我刻下你的名字,
Your sweetheart's just beneath it, Tom;
你心上人名字,鐫刻下面,
And you did mine the same.
嘿嘿,居然與我暗戀一致。
Some heartless wretch has peeled the bark;
哪個壞家伙,剝去樹皮,
'T was dying sure, but slow,
茍延殘喘的樹,慢慢死去,
Just as that one whose name you cut
宛如,樹干上清秀的姑娘,
Died forty years ago.
四十年前,遠離你我而去。
My lids have long been dry, Tom,
湯姆,我闖蕩多年波瀾不驚,
But tears came in my eyes:
此刻,涕泗橫流難掩悲傷,
I thought of her I loved so well,
當年,我愛得如癡如狂,
Those early broken ties.
一陣風,竟不知身在何方。
I visited the old churchyard,
我走進那間頹圮教堂,
And took some flowers to strew upon the graves of those we loved iust forty years ago.
將帶來的鮮花,輕輕放下,放在,我們愛過的墳塋前,往事四十載,心痛神殤。
Some are in the churchyard laid,
有的人,長眠教堂院內,
Some sleep beneath the sea;
有的人,永遠躺在海底;
And none are left of our old class excepting you and me.
班上同學,除卻你我,如今相聚已是,陰陽相隔。
And when our time shall come, Tom,
湯姆,你我上路的日子快了,
And we are called to go,
似乎有人,在遠方呼喚,
I hope we'll meet with those we loved some forty years ago.
但愿,與愛戀的人重逢相依,共同翻動,人生如寄的篇章。