The Chimney-sweeper
掃煙囪的孩子
A little black thing among the snow,
雪地里有一個黑黑的小東西:
Crying! 'weep! weep!' in notes of woe!
叫喊著掃呀,掃呀,哭哭啼啼!
'Where are thy father and mother? Say!'—
喂!你的爸爸媽媽都哪兒去了?
'They are both gone up to the church to pray.
他們都到禮拜堂去做禱告。
'Because I was happy upon the heath,
因為我在荒原上本來很歡暢,
And smiled among the winter's snow,
而且在冬天的大雪里微笑:
They clothed me in the clothes of death,
他們給我穿上了喪服似的衣裳。
And taught me to sing the notes of woe.
又教我唱起這悲傷的曲調。
'And because I am happy and dance and sing,
因為我快活,又跳又唱,
They think they have done me no injury,
他們就以為對我毫無損傷:
And are gone to praise God and His priest and king,
就去贊美上帝與他的牧師和國王,
Who made up a heaven of our misery.'
這一伙把我們的苦難硬說是天堂。