迷你對話:
A:What will happen to the children if you break up?
如果你們分手了,孩子們怎么辦?
B:That's a relief for me and a misery for the children.
對我來說這是解脫,對孩子來說是一場災難。
A:Why don't you make up with John.
為什么不試著和John講和呢?
B:It's too late.
太遲了。
地道表達:
break up
小編講解:
該短語原意是“分散,分離”,引申為“關(guān)系破裂”,多用來指“夫妻離婚”。
支持范例:
Eg.Why did you and Rohda break up?
你和羅達為什么決裂了?
Eg.The break up of their marriage was an enormous liberation for her.
她離婚一事對她是一大解脫。
Eg.I can't figure out why my girlfriend wanted to break up with me.
我弄不明白為什么我的女朋友要跟我分手。
Eg.You'd better break up with your sleazy boyfriend before you get hurt.
在你受傷之前最好早點跟你那個差勁的男朋友分手。
Eg.You are not an honest man, I have decided to break up with you.
你不是一個誠實的人,我已決定與你斷交。
詞海拾貝:
1. make up with:與.....重歸于好,與.....言歸于好
Eg.I think you should forgive Pedro and make up with him.
我想你應該原諒佩德羅,跟他和好。
Eg.I want you to make up with her. I want you to be the perfect loving husband.
我要你同她和好,當一個完美無缺的愛妻子的丈夫。
2.a relief for sb:對某人來說是一種解脫
3.a misery for sb:對于某人來說是痛苦的遭遇