Mrs. Bollingbroke says: I wish I knew what was the matter with me this morning.
博林布魯克夫人:我今天早晨真是活見鬼了,
Why do you keep the newspaper all to yourself, my dear?
親愛的,怎么你一直抱著報紙不放?
Mr. Bolingbroke says: Here it is for you, my dear; I have finished it.
博林布魯克先生:親愛的,給你,我才看完。
I humbly thank you for giving it to me when you have done with it.
讀完就遞給我,真要感謝勞您大駕了。
I hate stale news. Is there anything in the paper? for I can not be at the trouble of hunting it.
我討厭過時的新聞,報紙上有什么消息不?我可不愿費神找。
Yes, my dear; there are the marriages of two of our friends.
親愛的,報上報道了我們兩對朋友的婚禮。
Who? Who? Your friend, the widow Nettleby, to her cousin John Nettleby.
那誰和誰?你的朋友,寡婦奈特比和她的表兄約翰·奈特比。
Mrs. Nettleby? Dear! But why did you tell me?
奈特比夫人?你為什么告訴我這些?
Because you asked me, my dear.
你問我的,親愛的。
Oh, but it is a hundred times pleasanter to read the paragraph one’s self.
嗨,不管怎么說,還是自己讀到這類消息感覺要有趣得多!
One loses all the pleasure of the surprise by being told. Well, whose was the other marriage?
你這么一開口,我所有的快樂驚奇一點兒也沒啦,好了,還有一對呢?
Oh, my dear, I will not tell you; I will leave you the pleasure of the surprise.
哦,親愛的,我不會再說了,就把那快樂驚奇留給你自己吧。
But you see I can not find it. How provoking you are, my dear! Do pray tell me. Our friend Mr. Granby.
你看不出來,我找不到嗎,你怎么這樣煩人?做做好事,夫君,快點告訴我。還有一對是我們的朋友格蘭比。
Mr. Granby? Dear! Why did you not make me guess? I should have guessed him directly. But why do you call him our friend?
格蘭比先生?我的媽呀!你怎么不讓我再猜猜呢?我原本一下子就能猜到的,可你為什么說他是我們的朋友?
I am sure he is no friend of mine, nor ever was.
他肯定不是我的朋友,從來都不是,
I took an aversion to him, as you remember, the very first day I saw him. I am sure he is no friend of mine.
我那么討厭他,你該記得,從我遇見他第一天起,我就說過,我可絕沒這么個朋友。
I am sorry for it, my dear; but I hope you will go and see Mrs. Granby.
對不起,親愛的,不過我還是希望你去看看格蘭比夫人。
Not I, indeed, my dear. Who was she? Miss Cooke.
我也不會去,真的,親愛的,那她是誰呀?庫克小姐。