克倫威爾,你一定要聽我的,拋開野心;天使們就是野心太大而墮落的,而人不過是他的創(chuàng)造主的影像,怎能寄望通過野心而獲得勝利?
Love thyself last: cherish those hearts that hate thee; Corruption wins not more than honesty.
愛自己到最后才最善,珍愛那些憎恨你的人吧,比起腐敗來誠實會為你贏得更多。
Still in thy right hand carry gentle peace, To silence envious tongues.
在你的右手里永遠舉著溫順的和平枝,杜絕嫉妒之舌。
Be just, and fear not: Let all the ends thou aim'st at be thy country's, Thy God's, and truth's;
做人要公正,不要畏懼;你所要達到的一切目的都是為你的國家、這也是上帝和真理所要達到的目的,
then, if thou fall'st, O Cromwell, Thou fall'st, a blessed martyr!
此后倘若你還是失敗了的話,克倫威爾,你也將是受到祝福的殉難者。
Serve the king; And, prithee, lead me in: There, take an inventory of all I have, To the last penny;
去為國王效勞吧。還有,請你領我進去:把我所有的一切直到最后一個便士都列一份清單,
't is the king's: my robe, And my integrity to Heaven, is all I dare now call mine own.
這些都是國王的。我敢說我自己的財產只剩下這件袍子和我對上帝的一片誠心了。
O Cromwell, Cromwell! Had I but served my God with half the zeal I served my king,
啊,克倫威爾,克倫威爾!如果我把為國王效勞的熱誠,用一半來侍奉我的上帝,
He would not in mine age Have left me naked to mine enemies.
他也不會在我垂暮之年把我赤條條地留給我的敵人了。
Good sir, have patience.
好大人,忍耐些吧。
So I have. Farewell The hopes of court! my hopes in Heaven do dwell.
我除了忍耐還能怎樣。別了在宮廷中晉身的希望,我的希望在天國里。